Saturday, March 22, 2008

Eggs & Thrifting Fun

The kids and I are down in the booming metropolis of Boyne City, Michigan, with my parents for a nice long Easter weekend. (No school for me on Friday or Monday. ) I would love to be able to say that we did some amazingly creative Easter craft, but we didn't. We dyed eggs; plain and simple, we dyed a dozen eggs. Though, it was the first time my children had ever dyed eggs, so for them it was an amazingly creative Easter craft. I'm glad grandma thought ahead and bought the eggs a few days ago, because when I was at Wal-Mart this evening, they were completely out of eggs. (Is Wal-Mart ever out of anything???0 K thoroughly enjoyed herself. Especially when she threw, (yes threw) an egg into the green dye cup and splashed green everywhere. She thought it was highly amusing. Luckily, grandma had thought ahead and covered the table with newspapers, as well as make paint shirts out of old pillowcases. (I made sure to post a picture of K today since it seems like I always post pictures of her brother.) The highlight of my day also involved pillowcases. Chikaustin recently posted about a pillowcase dress she made for her daughter. It is the cutest thing ever, and she was kind enough to share with me where she found the pattern. So, when I saw these pillowcases today while I was out thrifting, I grabbed them. (A bargain at $0.50 - $1.00 each, don't you think.) My husband will hate the floral ones, but I like them. Especially the one on the far left - I had those same sheets as a kid! Such good memories of the 70s... Since I am in "the real world" with access to a fabric store, I picked up the fabric, a bias tape maker and thread to finish them off into dresses. But that will have to wait until I get back home on Monday.

7 comments:

teresa said...

I think you take amazing pictures. Great perspective.

Anonymous said...

You are right. I hate it.

La Tea Dah said...

What fun! Your daughter looks like a real angel in that picture --- the chair back gives a 'wing like' appearance! The pillow case aprons sound very handy! AND, I love the idea of the vintage pillow case dresses! I am eager to see how they turn out --- they sound darling!

LaTeaDah

Shannon said...

There is something about green dye! Ours got spilled ALL over the counter. O well! It looked pretty anyway!

Diane Doran said...

Those pillow case dresses will be just darling! I can't say I had any sheets *exactly* like those, but I did have some that were very similar - what nice memories.

misschris said...

Can't wait to see your dresses... Those are perfect pillowcases for them! xo

Anonymous said...

Ooo! I really, really love thrifted sheets and pillowcases. It's an addiction...