Sunday, March 20, 2022

Farewell


Our trusty little 1996 Polaris Indy Lite snowmobile gave up the ghost this week. My husband and my son have done their best to keep it running for the last few years, but it finally died. Part of me is a little bummed because now that it had crossed the 26 year-old mark, it was considered a "historic" snowmobile; the rules for registering vintage machines are different from registering other machines. You pay a one-time $50.00 fee and do not need to buy the yearly trail permit, which costs another $52.00. But, those savings don't justify the cost to completely rebuild an old and well used engine.

It's been a good little machine. We bought it a little over 15 years ago for $1500, so it's more than given us our money's worth. Both of my children learned how to drive on it, and it's taken them to school each winter day since my son turned 12. I'm not sure if it will be fixed and continue to run around Mackinac or if it will be scrapped for parts. Either way, farewell little machine - you served us well. 


 

No comments: