Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter


This year Easter is a bit unusual for us - we're home! Usually we all go to my parent's house for the weekend, but this year we decided it was time to invite them here. Not traveling has been so nice. Now I just need to go iron my good tablecloth and get out grandma's china so we can enjoy a fancy meal. We've been in our house six years and I think this is only the third time I've gotten out the good china.

My husband is making salmon. I'm not sure that it "goes" with the green bean casserole (my son's favorite) or the baked brie and homemade bread (my favorite) but I'm sure my mom will appreciate not having to cook.


My Grandma Lilly got this china when she got married in the 1930s. The pattern is called "Chelsea Bird," though it's not my favorite as china patterns go. In fact, I use to call it "the chicken china," but I love that it belonged to my grandmother. She lived in Florida, so I never got to eat off these plates as a child, but I think it would make her smile to know that I think of her every time we use them. I'm going to have to work on creating reasons to get it out more often. Any suggestions for me?

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Happy Easter to you too. I love using things with a family history. When my kids were younger, we had one Sunday a month that was fancy china day. Used my whole service. Have a great day!

kate said...

Happy Easter, Liz.

I recommend tea parties. My son still loves to dress up the table.

Indy Mom said...

Tea party.....that's a good beginning. I like the once a month idea too. As S&K get older you will find it easier to do those things like using the china and things that require a bit more time. Mine is washed and the table put back together. Love having that dining room always ready.

Mandy said...

We have some special china from Helga and some from wedding presents. It always makes me shiver to use it with the kids but why have it if we don't use it, right?. This past Christmas we had a special Christmas morning breakfast on them and then twice this winter when we didn't have school we had tea parties with it. Next week is our anniversary so we will have a special dinner on all of it too. I think Helga would be happy to know that we have all of the dishes on display in our dining room and that we use them--just a bit.

Allie said...

Happy Easter Liz! I love the once a month idea of a special family dinner on the good china - you could also make up holidays that will be just for your family to celebrate.

Val said...

Bring it out on birthdays! Granted, it might not be great for parties overflowing with small children, but when you sit down as a family to celebrate, set a special table. Everyone will love it!

stitching under oaks said...

happy Easter...sounds like a perfect day and a great menu! Hope your day was a great one. I'd use the dishes for special days: birthdays, lost teeth, anniversaries, last day of school....you know those kinds of days!

Deanna said...

Great ideas, birthdays are always great days to do something special! Report card day, to celebrate learning something new in school, a simple meal for two (outside) on a spread out tablecloth while stargazing, puppet show night/dinner and a show. Hmmm, think I may have to pull the china down myself. :)

Anonymous said...

As a child I grew up with my mom setting the table at holidays with her grandmothers special china, it was an honor to be able to use it as a child. Now a mother myself I am in the process of collecting two different patterns that meld well with one another; one pattern is our everyday china (blue willow) and the other (Bird of Paradise by Aynsley) for all holidays. I would rather have my daughter (4 years old) use and grow an appreciation for these beautiful pieces and have them break then lock them up in a cubard where no one uses them. I am an avid garage sale and thrift store shopper, I pull various pieces into my mix to expand my collection. There is a great website called replacements.com where you can replace discontinued patterns.