Monday, June 1, 2009

Goodies


My friend, Wendy, recently closed out her storage unit. Which meant everything had to fit into her new apartment. Her grandmother was quite the crafter and since Wendy didn't have the room or the desire to keep these goodies, she passed them on to me. Nothing like a big box full of vintage buttons and some sharp German-made scissors to put a smile on this pack-rat's face. I didn't really need six new pairs (or is it pair?) of scissors, but I just couldn't say no. They say admitting that you have a problem is the first step, right?


The buttons have already come in handy. I was the chief costumer for the 4th - 7th grade school play this spring (A.K.A. last week.) Unfortunately, the hat the Witch's mother ordered was too small. No problem, I opened up the seam to give her an extra inch of head space and then covered the opening with a cockade. The green button in the center matched the trim and the Witch's dress perfectly. (The only problem was my son yelling out, "Mama, the Gingerbread Witch stole your hat!" as she rode her broom onto the stage at the beginning of scene two. At least the folks sitting near us found it amusing.)

16 comments:

Betts said...

Great job on the hat. I can't tell it was altered. Ooo, and I'm so envious of free craft goodies. One can never have enough scissors, especially good ones.

jade said...

oh i am very jealous of all of your goodies. i helped my mom clean out her storage this weekend and am now the proud owner of FOUR family quilts, plus a really need silhouette of my mom in kindergarten. i had to beg and plead for them and make all kinds of promises. but it was totally worth it. :)

kate said...

Fabulous!!!!

Love what your son said, too.

Pamela said...

She sounds like a true, blue friend and maybe a little bit of in the right place at the right time! None the less ~ treasures where certainly obtained. Very Lucky.

Mama Said Sew said...

Kids say the darnedest things!

I couldn't have passed up those sewing goodies either. :)

Sam said...

Love the hat, and mmmmm...buttons! I love buttons :-)

Maggie said...

How fun! Perfect solution for the hat, too!

Brenda said...

Buttons are one of my favorite things.

Crystal said...

Oh wow! What a great treasure! I have a thing for buttons. :)

Love the hat. You did a great job on the alteration.

The WoodLand School said...

What bounty! Those scissors look like the beginning of a marvelous collection.

Valerie said...

Look at those buttons! I've never lost my childlike love of sorting buttons :)

Your son is a keeper, what a cutie!

Allie said...

Woohoo, congrats on all the goodies - buttons will make your heart sing! GREAT job on the hat - your son's comment cracked me up!

Manoute said...

Hmmm....all these goodies :o)
I love the hat!
I hope you are feeling better and you are enjoying your LOOOOONG break ;o)

Ellen said...

oooh, no way could I pass on those scissors, never mind the buttons!! I have called dibs on my grandmother's button box which my mother inherited. Treasure, indeed! I'm always hoping to stumble upon someone else's collection at a yard sale.

pam said...

OMG I love the witch's hat, Liz! Brilliant fix.

So lucky to have a friend willing to give you that button stash. Know you are going to have fun with it.

Ashley said...

Look at all those goodies! I love the scissors.... I'm such a pack rat....maybe someone will think all my stuff is great one day ;)