I love living on Mackinac. Sure, some things are more complicated than they would be on the mainland, but to me, it's well worth it to live on here.
Take donations for example: When my family is done with things that have plenty of life left, I try, whenever possible, to donate them to places like the Gold Mine or the Hope Chest. My mainland friends often keep a box that they slowly fill as they find items they no longer need. When the box is full, it gets placed in the car and dropped off on their way home from the grocery store. Since I live on an island with no cars, it's not that simple for me. It's much easier for me to collect multiple boxes, store them in the basement, and then donate them en masse, once or twice a year.
The 14 boxes above were this summer's donation. It took a little planning* so the dray could pick them up and have them to the dock by 8:00 am for the boat, but it felt good to give all those things a second life somewhere else. (Plus, I appreciate being able to help the Gold Mine and the Hope Chest with their missions; they both do important work in the community which I am happy to support.)
*The planning involved checking the weather to be sure it wasn't going to rain, calling the Service Company a day or two before to arrange pickup, and then having the boxes outside by 6:00 am.


No comments:
Post a Comment