Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Little Shop of Horrors


We started on March 12th for an April 21st opening night. 40 whirlwind days full of singing and rehearsing. And although tech week nearly did me in, I had an absolute blast. Needless to say, there was little time left in my schedule for blogging - especially in April!

For a tiny town of around 500 people, let me tell you - Mackinac has got some talent


I was cast as the Act One voice of Audrey II, a carnivorous plant with a deep voice and a taste for blood. I was also a member of the Derelict Chorus - A.K.A. a wino on Skid Row (hence the ragged shirt and trench coat.)


Working with the puppeteers to align my voice with the puppet's mouth movements (without being able to see one another) was a challenge, but we pulled it off.


Travis took over as Audrey II's voice when the plant grew and needed a deeper voice. (That's us at curtain call in front of the full grown Audrey II.)


For me, one of the highlights of Little Shop was getting to work with my youngest. K was the puppeteer for the smallest Audrey II. They were so excited when the prop builder said little Audrey II could come home with us. 


Truth be told - singing with a live band, in front of an audience, was pretty cool too. I never really understood the draw of participating in community theater until I was a part of it. Now I completely understand why people are willing to put so much work and effort into a play! 


No comments: