Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Coffee, Scones & Conversation


My good friend, Stephanie, just arrived back on the Island from wintering in California, so we've started getting together, once a week, for coffee. I hosted this week, which was the prefect occasion to use all those things I have in my china cabinet yet rarely use. (I'm trying to be better about that. I'm also trying to note where things came from so I can pass that knowledge on to my kids - if they choose to keep my treasures.)

  • The lilac china belonged to my Great Aunt Ruth. Neither of her kids wanted it and I thought it would be perfect for Mackinac Island.
  • The Arklow cream and sugar set were purchased by my mom when we visited Ireland in 1985.
  • The Dirigold cutlery belonged my Grandmothers. (They both had it and I consolidated it into one.)
  • I bought the Dirigold platter for myself. I found it at a thrift shop for a steal and since it matched what I got from my Grandmothers, it made sense to me to nab it.

Stephanie's visit also gave me an excuse to bake. Ever since I made homemade clotted cream, I've wanted to make scones.  They're so easy, I'm not sure why I've never made them. They were so easy I made two different varieties: sweetened cream cheese and dried cherry. Hands down my family preferred the cherry ones (topped with homemade strawberry jam.) Follow this link for the recipe to make your own. You won't regret it, though one batch only makes six scones - that's why I made two.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Looks so inviting. I hope you enjoyed the visit and that you’re doing ok. Been thinking of you!

Liz said...

Thanks Jill. I'm OK. This weekend is my dad's Memorial / Celebration of Life and I'm betting that's going to be tough...

Anonymous said...

Hey. I want to join that yummy party!

msumissa said...

What a great reminder to use the things!!! And you look like an amazing hostess in the process!