Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Frustrated

I made it seven days. Seven days out of quarantine, five of them at work. And then, someone decided to come to work sick. Sigh.




This person thought, despite having to fill out an online questionnaire each and every morning before coming in to school, that their sore throat, headache and general feeling of crappiness, was "Just a cold." Had they accurately noted their symptoms, they would have gotten this message:



I know because it is the same message you get when you check the box next to "Have you been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid 19?" Which I now have to check; again. And it's so incredibly frustrating. I'm kind of in awe; I mean who thinks going into work with even mild symptoms, in the middle of a global pandemic, is a good idea? Who?

And I tried to remain distant, I really did. In fact, my seat at lunch was eight feet away from the others in the room. (I'm nerdy, I measured.) Safe, I thought, but the health department disagreed. Four members of the staff, one substitute teacher and an entire elementary classroom are now quarantined.

So, I am teaching from home. Again. Praying that my family and I stay healthy. Again. The high point of my day today was my walk to down to the Medical Center, in the rain, for a Covid test. Thankfully, I managed to find a little beauty along the way.


For the record, I support the LMAS District Health Department  100%. I understand that quarantine is an effective strategy to stop the spread of Covid-19, and I'm following their guidelines because I want to keep others safe and healthy. 

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

You are blessed to be able to spot little vignettes of beauty in the midst of pandemic frustrations. May your new quarantine time speed by quickly.

Bridget said...

Because the grandparents are older we have kept the kids home and schooling remotely. Not anyone's favorite but we are aware everyone has a different interpretation of social distance and mask wearing. I would LOVE to have you b my kids teacher!!!! Love the science! Today we start our contact free bubble so we know that we can safely spend Thanksgiving with the grands. Not a sacrifice to stay home all things considered. I am sorry you are having so much trouble with COVID. :( Stay safe. Be careful.

Gemma's person said...

Keep safe...you know how.
At least you have the option of teaching from home.

DawnsBoy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
msumissa said...

Oh Liz, If I could answer your question about the filling out the health questionnaire I would be rich. As an HR Manager the last 9 months have been headbanging levels of frustration. THANKFULLY we have not had spread within our buildings, but people getting it elsewhere. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "I just thought it was allergies", "I thought it was just a cold." NO KIDDING YOU THOUGHT YOU HAD A COLD, THOSE ARE THE COVID SYMPTOMS!!! UGH, just drives me to drink.

I am happy your son had what sounds like a mild case and the rest of you have been safe. One thing I have observed is that at our cottage, people were really good about mask wearing this summer with tourists in town, now, it's like they think COVID left with the tourists. Even though the numbers are skyrocketing in the county.

Glad you have been safe. Take care!