Thursday, June 4, 2020

Questions



I stopped by school the other day to water my plants.



My poor Christmas cactus is a bit confused. It flowered right after Christmas and now it is flowering again. I don't think it's ever done that before. But it does fit in with the craziness that is 2020.

I was sad walking around my silent room, but I held it together until I noticed the bulletin board in the front of my classroom.


March. Here it is June and the calendars up on the bulletin board were from March. I broke into tears - not over the calendar per se, but over the two and a half months lost. My logical brain completely understands why school was closed, and that those months at home flattened the curve and saved lives, but it's been hard on my heart. 

So I sat at my desk and cried.

At home I've kept my mind busy, but in that moment I just needed to admit to myself just how much I've missed being at school with my students. People may think sheltering in place has been easy on teachers because we haven't had to go into work every day; we've gotten to be at home with our families, but it's been hard. I worry about my kids and their parents. Some of them aren't working, while others still have to work while the kids are home. We threw them into online learning thing almost overnight. This experience has been stressful for them - traumatic even. I've tried to support them through this crazy time and I've got to tell you, my sixth grade families have been amazing. I am so proud of them. And as I sat contemplating just how hard they've worked and how much I miss them, I noticed the Magic Eight Ball sitting on my desk...


So I asked it, "Will we be coming back to school in the fall?"


A good sign. But the worrier in me felt the need to ask again. "Will we go back to normal school in September?"


Another good sign. But just to be sure, because, you know, it's me, I asked one last time - "Is everything going to be OK?"


So there you have it - The Super Eight Ball certainly believes the future looks good. And as ridiculous as it sounds, my heart felt a little lighter as I walked out of my classroom and headed for home...

3 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Hugs...it has to be hard. Magic 8 Ball to the rescue. :)

Bridget said...

I can't imagine how the island is right now. We love to visit but this summer we can't afford to go and we hesitate to take risks. I am also hoping for school in the fall. Basically staying home with the parents is not that much fun.

Gemma's person said...

Children and you know this I am sure ...are more resilient and brave than we give them credit for sometimes.
Make it a norm and natural for them, they've not been through all the hard things we olders have in life. It will make them stronger in the long run. And it is fine that you are feeling sorrow for yourself as well. We all will be stronger for this trial we have gone through. :)