Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Blue Bridge


The Mackinac Bridge is looking a wee bit different these days. The normal red and green lights have been swapped out for blue ones for the month of April for autism awareness. I've worked with several kids in the past with an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I had no idea that Michigan had 15,000 kids with an A. S. D. That makes us fourth in the nation in terms of cases despite the fact that we're only the eighth most populated state. (Right behind CA, TX, NY, FL, IL, PA, and OH.)    


The blue lights aren't nearly as bright as the normal ones so they aren't really visible from the island, but I love the the idea of increasing awareness of Autism Spectrum Disorders. I love that the Mackinac Bridge Authority agreed to participate in this project.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

That is a nice way to bring awareness. My daughters little town put blue ribbons on everyone's mailbox and along the main road thru town.

stitching under oaks said...

That is such a great way to bring awareness....I have some friend with autistic children and I know they are blessed when others understand just a bit more of the situation that they are dealing with.