Thursday, November 19, 2009

Veteran's Day


I know I'm late with this post, but I just had to share what our local American Legion did this year on Veteran's Day. It is one of the neatest things I've seen...

They gave every child in our school a backpack - every child. Written on each backpack were the names if Mackinac Island veterans. They even worked hard to put the names of relatives on the packs of kids who come from island families that go way back. Paul, the post commander, told the students that he hoped they would carry the names of these brave men and women with them and remember how much they loved their country.

My children are so young, they really didn't "get it" but that's OK. We talked about the names on their new backpacks and how they were real people who were willing to fight for our country and what it stood for. I was very pleased when my son wanted to know whose names were on his pack and then chose to carry it with him to school the next day. Both he and my daughter have used them ever since.

8 comments:

Marcia said...

That is the beauty of a small community. What a wonderful idea! My post gives new flags to the schools each year, doing a flag raising ceremony for them.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

That is a VERY cool thing. Awesome way to teach kids about patriotism and service to your country.

Loralynn said...

Wonderful! You'd be surprised how much actually sunk in with the kids though. It will come back out later, that's how it worked with my Daughter. All that information rolled around in her little head and then the next year, she REALLY got it!

Val said...

What a great way to not only teach ptriotism, but also history. The military has been an important part of Mackinac for years. I have to think that some of those kids may be descendants of some of the men who once served at the fort, married local girls, and stayed on the island.

Melody said...

What a touching gesture...gave me goosebumps. What an awesome way to teach the kiddos...love those teachable moments!

Indy Mom said...

That is VERY neat. I will remember to ask S about it. I'll bet he will be able to tell me all about it.

Allie said...

What a fabulous idea - and very meaningful.

Jen said...

What a neat idea. How touching, thanks for sharing it with us.