Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sewing for Boys

Sewing for my son is a challenge because he doesn't like "shirts with buttons." I think it is a texture thing - I think he prefers the way knits feel on his skin. So aside from appliqued T-shirts and pajamas, I haven't made much for him. (Note to self - get over your unreasonable fear of sewing with knits.) The appliqued shirts have always been satin stitched, like this one, but the thought of satin stitching around Bob here scared me to death- all those corners and curves - yikes! That's when I came up with this idea - raw edge applique on a shirt. I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.


I starched Mr. Squarepants quite heavily and then cut him out - leaving about 1/4 inch around the outside. Then I slowly stitched around him as tightly as I could. After he was attached to the shirt I went back and and clipped the edges to help them fray. A quick trip through the washer and dryer did the rest.

We don't usually watch Sponge Bob in our house. We tried it, but S started trying to incorporate some some of the sarcasm the characters use in the show into his vocabulary. Mama was not happy and needless to say we don't watch it any more. I'm also not usually big on giving my children clothing with characters / advertising on them, but I often sew for my daughter and I've been feeling bad that I haven't made more for my son. So the partial ban (partial because, of course, hand-me-downs are allowed) may have to be lifted as I make my son more fun shirts. Perhaps he needs a pair of matching shorts next.

The dining room is coming along. Today's project is coat number two. Let me tell you, - it's blue! Really really blue. I'll post photos when it's done and the furniture, curtains, etc. are all back in place.

6 comments:

Maggie said...

You've got a serger in your sewing room just waiting for your to try knits-- go for it!

Indy Mom said...

Cute. Can't wait to see the dining room!

Allie said...

That's so cute - love the idea of raw-edge applique! Can't wait to see your dining room!

Ellen said...

That's a great idea, I may have to borrow that one! (and I am with you on Mr. Squarepants in general, he's funny... just not when it comes out of your child's mouth)

I can't wait to see the new blue!

Mama Said Sew said...

Great idea! I bet he loves his Bob shirt. :)

My favorite patterns for DS are McCalls 9206 (shorts) and McCalls M4964 (fleece jacket). I loved sewing with fleece.

Rosemary said...

What a clever idea!