Monday, May 18, 2009

Thanks Girls

It is hard to believe that I have known these women for twenty years now. Most of us met in early June back in 1989. O.K., the math teacher in me has to admit that it is more like an average of 20, since I've known M for 25 years and the other M for only 15, but still - that's a long time.

While we may have worked in different jobs for Mackinac State Historic Parks (Historic House Interpreter, Cashier, Scout Coordinator and Collections Assistant,) working for the fort brought us together and we bonded. I think we can all agree that we are who we are today, in part, due to the time we spent on Mackinac. A lot of it had to do with our island living arrangements at the Mission House.

We spent many hours on that porch: pot lucking, watching lightening storms over the straights, celebrating and just being together in one of the most magical places on Earth.

I have one friend from elementary school I still talk to regularly, three from high school, maybe six from college, but there are probably 25 "Mackinac People" - (including my husband) with whom I remain friends and talk to regularly. I treasure their friendship and am thankful for the incredible memories we made together. We may live miles apart and have completely different lives now, but somehow I feel like they are always close to me. It sounds cheesy I know, but it's how I feel.

Thanks girls; friends just don't get any better...

Here's a gander at us back in 1989...

8 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Girlfriends are the best!! I have to imagine that summers on the island would have been magical!

Marcia said...

How fun that you all get together still. It's a way to hold on to our youth. I felt like that about some friends I was in the Navy with. So I get what you mean about that connection.

My nephew (teacher) was just at the Island this past weekend with a group of students. Wish the weather could've been nicer, but I'm sure they had a good time.

Allie said...

Old friends are such treasures, aren't they? The shared memories keep you young forever!

Ellen said...

I love that 1989 picture! It's funny how some relationships are just durable that way, you can always just pick right up where you left off.

susan said...

my spring flowers are struggling. when we drove down to wasau this weekend to see jayde, it snowed all the way down there. no, it doesnt stick but for crimeney out loud, this is the middle of may already!!!! mac looks beautiful! i love reading your blog. i havent been very good lately about keeping up with mine but will do better. have a wonderful weekend.

Anonymous said...

What a special connection, Liz. I treasure my old friends, too. Looks like a great group of "old" friends!

stitching under oaks said...

nothing beats good friends! how wonderful that you have such long time friends.

The Elkins said...

1989 was my first summer on the island as a scout, in fact I recognize M in your picture - my first scout coordinator. I didn't realize fashion lacked so much back then, I thought I was so "cool"!