Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Random People of Cairo

One thing I have really enjoyed about Cairo is her people. In most cases I shot without permission - I wanted people looking natural, not posing for me.

Burrow cart hauling feed down the road near Giza.

Ladies shopping for spices in the Khan.


Men smoking shisha in Korba, the center of Heliopolis.


A man answering the call to prayer near the Khan.


This man was selling wooden flutes in the Khan.


I suppose this could have been taken in New York - except for the head scarf.


Also taken in the Khan. Do you see the dark spot on the older man's forehead? I'm told it is a callous from repeatedly touching his head to the carpet while praying.


These are the only white face veils I've seen. Al the others were either black or brown.


He looks so stern, but I bet he is a softy when it comes to his grandchildren.


This man and his goats were on the road to Saqqara.


Another smoker in Korba. I tried to sneak a few photos of the men, but I suspect they knew what I was up to.


When I wandered over to see what these students were up to in the mosque today, they showed me their drawings and said I could take a few photos.


We met this couple on our cruise on the Nile. His English was impeccable, she had a wonderfully engaging smile, and their son, Hussein, was absolutely adorable. They were just like virtually everyone we've met here - friendly and welcoming.


10 comments:

Molly Betsy @ Star Cottage said...

This is absolutely incredible. I love the photos and the play by play of your amazing trip. What an amazing experience :)

Indy Mom said...

I love following your trip via your blog and the pictures are great.

Brenda said...

Wow. What an experience. Glad you're having a good time.

The WoodLand School said...

Very neat portraits ... what a cool idea! Keep up the great work : )

Marcia said...

Are you experiencing different foods too? Are you getting to spend much time with your mom? It all looks so facinating. Great pics, as usual. It sure looks Sunny. Is it warm/hot there?

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

so i'm wondering, is there a meaning behind what color of scarf the women wear on their heads?
great pictures, Liz!

Betts said...

It's like being there with you. The prayer callous is fascinating.

Anonymous said...

Your photos are beautiful and engaging! What a great experience and it is fun to have you sharing it!

Mum-me said...

What a variety of faces you've captured - although the 'smoking' man didn't look pleased!

cinnamongirl93 said...

Love this post. I can almost hear the sounds of Egypt.