Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yellow: Day Four


This plant brings a smile to my face almost every day. It a Crown of Thorns; grown from a piece that broke off of a plant my husband brought into the house when we got married 13 years ago. It may be covered with thorns but the top is also covered with these little flowers all the time. The best part is the Crown of Thorns is a desert plant, so it appreciates my "benign neglect" plant care strategy.


As you can see, if I want to enjoy flowers this time of year in Northern Michigan, I have to look indoors. The only green outside is evergreen...

Several people have asked what camera I use. I have a Pentax K100D Super. I use my 18-55mm lens all the time. My husband bought it for me last Valentine's Day, since he knew I wanted a DSLR but wouldn't spend that kind of money on myself. He chose the Pentax because it got great reviews and he already had a couple Pentax lenses that fit his 35mm film Pentax SLR. All Pentax lenses fit all of their cameras, so it just made sense to choose that brand. Since I can use his, I also have a 50mm and 80-200mm Macro Zoom lens. Though to be honest, I've been having so much fun learning and playing with mine that I haven't even tried them yet.

How about you... What kind of camera do you use?

8 comments:

Betts said...

I buy a lot fo fresh flowers this time of year, because I'm hungry for them and it's nothing but snow and ice here. Then we'll have mud before we have flowers.

Anonymous said...

Love the "benign neglect" description...that fits my plant caretaking style, too! I use a Canon digital Rebel xTi and LOVE it. My favorite thing about it is the 1.4 lens I use...love that background blur!

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

i just have a little fuji finepix digital. not the best camera. but it does ok.
i would eventually like to get a better quality camera, but as you know, they are expensive. so i'll save my pennies.
i was thinking about your yellow challenge in your world of white. a funny thought, maybe "yellow" snow would be something you could find. ha ha
although a picture of it may not be too pleasant.

misschris said...

I've been enjoying your yellows this week, Liz!

I've got a Canon Rebel xti with the 18-55mm lens onit, but I'm lusting after the 50mm/1.4 lens for better portraiture... I'd say if you haven't tried that 50mm out yet, you'd better give it a whirl. I haven't seen anything but goodness come from those beauties.

Happy weekend! xoxo

misschris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cinnamongirl93 said...

I use a Kodak easyshare 4 mega pixal. When I bought it several years ago it was "the" camera. Now it's outdated. That's o.k. Down the road I will get something a little nicer.
I am dreaming of my garden. Scanning catalogs and such. It's getting closer!

stitching under oaks said...

love that crown of thorns...beautiful. I have a canon 40D slr. It's been fun learning to use it, but i know i have lots more to learn.

Becky J. said...

oh my heck...i have a crown of thorns too!! it does love neglect doesn't it? mine has little red flowers, not white..hmmm. i am trying to figure out how to snip and grow some more. mine is way tall and stringy like.