Friday, February 6, 2009

Sewing Class

Did I tell you, I've been teaching a little sewing class? One of my students has been coming to my house every Thursday night for the past two months to work on a Girl Scout sewing badge. (I was a Girl Scout and will do just about anything to help her - she's the island's only scout.) I don't remember the exact requirements of the badge, but it had something to do with "glamming" up an article of clothing. Her grandma is a quilter (but lives four hours away) so M decided she wanted to applique animals to a denim vest. I was thrilled when she chose a turtle! Which she finished last night, but then decided, "It needs something else.... How about a skunk?" So we set to work. She still works pretty slowly. In our hour together she managed to get the black body of the skunk satin stitched on, but his white stripe will have to wait for next week.

9 comments:

antique quilter said...

good for you teaching her to sew.
one girl scout on the island!
wow.
at that age they are still afraid of the sewing machine don't you think?
Kathie

misschris said...

I just love this you are doing this. (Not that I am surprised!) M is ever so lucky to have you for a teacher, too.

Anonymous said...

Love that.

Boys aren't afraid of the sewing machine ... it's a machine after all! They love to push that pedal. Bags are my boy's favourite. Straight lines and go fast!!

Maggie said...

Nice! I'm sure she's learned so much from all the one-on-one attention. I still haven't tried out my satin stitch foot that Santa brought me--need to find a project for it.

Mum-me said...

That's lovely that you're helping her. I bet she's really enjoying it. Can you come and teach me next?

Manoute said...

It is very kind of you. I am sure she will always remember it !

Kelly Fletcher said...

Just read your comment on my blog and you should take a look at a friend of ours' website - www.niletravel.co.za. She runs a tour company from South Africa and there's loads of information about Egypt on the site. She's really knowledgeable about the country and has been taking people there for years. Sounds like an exciting trip, sure you must be looking forward to it!

Christi said...

that is so cool! wow...only one scout?! you go girl (scout!). your weekend sounds SO relaxing!

Shannon said...

Can I come over, too? I so need a patient sewing teacher! I'm SLOW as well!
LOL!