Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Matchy Matchy

We really try not to go overboard with Christmas. This year all my husband and I bought for the kids were books, and a portable CD / tape player for each of their bedrooms. Of course, Santa (wink wink) brought each a stocking overflowing with goodies. (S, my son was ecstatic when he saw the purple glittering Barbie Mariposa he asked Santa for sticking out of his stocking.) The kids also got matching jammies from Mama this Christmas. I was kind of nervous they would be a big dud after opening toys from Grandma and Grampie, but I was pleasantly surprised. Immediately after S opened his his, he asked if he could put them on. Both kids have slept in them ever since.

They were really easy to make using Butterick 5565. Each leg was only one piece, so there was one seam to sew up the inside of each leg. Using my serger, they went so fast. I think each pair took a little over two hours - including cutting out the fabric. The tops were a breeze too. I just opened up part of the side seams of purchased T-shirts, appliqued a stripe of the flannel , and then used my serger to close the seams up again. When I bought by serger I bought some stabilizer and spray adhesive to use with it - and it is wonderful. I will never pin again on projects like this! Using the adhesive makes everything so much easier. I think jammies from Mama may have to become a Christmas tradition...

12 comments:

susan said...

is the barbie with the big wings the one for s? took tori and let her pick out 3 patterns for us to sew. one dress, one long dress and one cute top with short skirt. i will try and make one of each and make sure they fit and then sew a bunch after she leaves. she doesnt know that when she get back to kauai she isnt going back to their little apartment, finally, mikko is moving into the big house. tori will have her own bedroom, a real house! mikko will fix up the apt and rent that one out too. it will all work out great. i am so glad they are moving into the big house!

jacquie said...

oh my they look so cute! love the fabric you chose.

misschris said...

Adorable, Liz. I'm going to get talked into a serger one of these days... I just know it.

Maggie said...

I _knew_ you were going to love having a serger! The jammies are super cute. You picked the perfect fabric for them both. Santa brought me an applique foot--time to satin stitch!

Brenda said...

Love those jammies. The kids are adorable. Bought my serger in July and still haven't used it. It came with a dvd and it wouldn't play, so I called and they sent another. Just got it yesterday. So today's the day. Happy new year.

Anonymous said...

Sounds decidedly wonderful, and the pjs are too sweet.

We got the boy a CD/MP3 player (a stereo he says) for his room, where he has been listening to downloaded books for the last two days!

Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Great job on the jammies! They look comfy cozy.

I don't think you could get a better gift on Christmas than new Pj's. It was on my list this year and time ran out. It is the one thing I regret not getting done.

cinnamongirl93 said...

The jammies are adorable! Did you use flannel or cotton? Very cute. I have a serger but don't use it very often. I am hoping to this year. I had it tuned up and sharpened in the fall. Serger here I come! lol!

Anonymous said...

I love the pyjamas, I think it is a great Christmas tradition. I made jammy bottoms for Mister T for Christmas and he loved them.

Sam said...

Love the jammies, and it's a great idea to add matching embellishment to bought t-shirts.
My goal this year is to get sewing. I'd love to be able to make some jammies :-)

Anonymous said...

Read your article, if I just would say: very good, it is somewhat insufficient, but I am

still tempted to say: really good!
Personalized Signature:面对面视频游戏,本地棋牌游戏,本地方言玩游戏,打麻将,玩掼蛋,斗地主,炸金花,玩梭哈

Marcia said...

Love the Jammies! It will make a great Christmas tradition.