Saturday, December 20, 2008

More Minty Goodness

Or Teacher Gifts Part Two...

The other thing my children gave their teachers and babysitters this year was "Hot Cocoa Kits." Each bag contained five cocoa packets, five candy canes dipped in milk chocolate for stirring and five jumbo holiday marshmallows. (I owe Marie a big thank you for the idea.) I was a bit worried about having my little ones work with the melted chocolate, but they did a great job. Especially after I promised they could snack on the leftover chocolate! I hope the recipients enjoy these as much as the kids enjoyed dipping the canes and putting the bags together.

I think it is important for children to be a part of the presents they give to others. I want them to learn the idea that giving of ones self is important. As a teacher, my favorite gifts are the ones my students make for me - especially the ornaments. I love the little walk down memory lane I get each year when I put up the tree. This year one of my sixth graders even sewed me an apron - an orange apron with white polka dots. Another student made a Christmas ornament for each member of my family - including the dog and the cat! To me, those are the kinds of gifts that are the most special. I know not every mom has the time, energy, or skills to do things like that, and I do love the purchased gifts and baked goods I get too. There's just something special about a homemade gift, don't you think? Some how I think I'm preaching to the choir...

6 comments:

Marcia said...

With all this cold weather and snow, I'm sure that will be an appreciated gift this year. Great idea.

Amy Jo said...

Very cool idea! I love the candy cane dipped in chocolate idea!

And why were you up so early posting this???

Anonymous said...

My boy's gift for the last three years has been chocolate covered pretzels. He makes one for each of his classmates and a bag for his teacher. We melt milk chocolate and then he dips (with a fork through the holes) regular-sized pretzels in the chocolate to thoroughly coat them. After they dry we melt white chocolate and he uses a fork to drizzle the white chocolate over the covered pretzels. Easy and fun for him and always a big hit.

stitching under oaks said...

great gift ideas...I wish I'd have had your kids when I was a teacher...I got a lot of dollar store angels...nothing wrong with them, but hot cocoa kits are so much cooler!

claudia said...

you even made the marshmallows!?!
wow, I'm so not there yet!

Liz said...

No, I didn't make the marshmallows, they came from the groery store. I'm not quite that crafty...