Friday, December 12, 2008

Top Ten Christmas Towns

Last year a film crew came to the island where I live to film our local Christmas celebrations. We, all 500 of us who live here year round, were thrilled when our town made it into the show. So, if you're curious about my little island life, here is a five minute taste...

This year's Christmas Bazaar was last weekend, and yes, we all went... The show left out one of the more interesting things we do - and one of my favorites - the community wide garage sale in the Fire Hall. Everyone donates everything and all the proceeds go to the Island Medical Center. This year I found lots of treasures: dresses for my daughter (new with tags,) five wool sweaters for felting, a beautiful aqua angora cardigan (to wear,) a tie for my son, and a My Little Pony (my son named her "Fireworks.") I owe my friend, Wendy, big time for all those bargains. She watched my two little ones so I could go thrift. I also owe my husband a thank you for editing and then uploading that video.

So what do you do to celebrate the holidays that is unique to you or your town?

13 comments:

misschris said...

Liz, I got all teary eyed watching this video! It's too sweet and wonderful. What a wonderful place to raise your children. :) xoxo

Brenda said...

Liz, I feel like I know you so much better now. I love your beautiful town.Have a Merry Christmas

stitching under oaks said...

How fun is that?! Thanks for sharing...I'd love to visit someday...looks so "uncommercialized". My mom and dad were there a couple of summers ago. They loved it. Merry Christmas!

Mum-me said...

That was such fun to watch! Were you in that clip? With Santa?

I think I could probably brave the snow for a white Christmas, just once!

antique quilter said...

what fun, boy sure wish I lived there.
We lived in Michigan a few years ago and always meant to go up and visit but never got there ...
now I am really sorry
it is sooooo pretty
must be wonderful living here
Kathie in NJ now instead of Novi Mi

zakkalife said...

I enjoyed watching the video. It just looks like such a charming place to live. It really brought it to life for me. And I just kept thinking what a nice place to raise children.

For our town one of the large churches puts on a Christmas musical every year. What's interesting about it is anyone in the town can try out for it, you don't have to belong to the church. It's also quite professional between the stage displays and singing. I'm always very impressed with the performances.

jacquie said...

someday hubby and i are going to get up to visit. what a wonderful place to live.

Marcia said...

That was a great video. It was fun to see all the snowmobiles lining the streets. I've never been over there after the Season.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Gretchen said...

I love your town. It's on my list of places to visit.
Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Your town is more than lovely. So much warm and charm.
Just wondering how many horses are on the island?

claudia said...

omg it looks like so much fun!
i want to visit...but probably more in summer!

Anonymous said...

What a cheerful video! Thank you for sharing. Island living truly is a unique life style. Our parents live on one of the larger San Juan Islands and even with cars allowed, it is a remote and close-knit community. From what I see, I like your island very much.

muralimanohar said...

Just how cool is THAT?? I am so envious of your children, how they get to grow up! :D