Sunday, May 18, 2008

Seven Things

Image borrowed from
http://cultureofbeer.blogspot.com

A couple of weeks back I was tagged by Michelle over at The Mama Chronicles for a Seven Things Meme. I was so engrossed with the senior trip I had to put it off for a while, but I am back so here goes...

According to Michelle these are the rules:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.
2. Share seven facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird.
3. Tag seven people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.
4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Seven Things About Me

1. I am a total science geek. I love knowing how things work and why things are the way they are. I'm a math geek too, but not as much as science. I guess it is good that I became a math and science teacher... I try really hard to pass on my love of learning to my students.
(Deer heart awaiting dissection in my classroom)

2. I know American Sign Language. I met a deaf girl while I was in college and decided I wanted to be her friend. With her help I learned to sign. I used ASL with both my children before they could speak and it was amazing; it cut down on their frustration so much. Plus now I can cue them to say "please" and "thank you" and 99% of the population does not know it and think they are very polite children. (You'll keep my secret, won't you.)

3. I'm 38 years old and I have never been drunk. Really. I guess I'm just kind of boring... though my friends liked always having a designated driver around.

4. I’m afraid of color. Yep – a quilted who is afraid of color. I have to see the combination somewhere and like it – because I can’t match things on my own. Due to my fears, my entire house is painted off white. That way I’ll know the curtains, etc. will match the walls. Though, I must admit I am getting better in this area. My friend Julie came over and picked paint colors for me this winter. We went through he house and she picked colors that went with the things I already had in the rooms. I’ll post pictures after things are painted…

(Some of my completed quilts)

5. I am an auditory learner. Like amazingly so... In college I would, much to my roommates dismay, record all of my notes and listen to them as I studied. I constantly amaze my husband because I can pick out actor's voices when I only hear a couple of words, I can quickly mimic accents, and I can pretty much remember anything set to music.

6. I love to travel. I've been to Canada, Spain, France, Gibraltar, Ireland, England, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the British Virgin Islands. My mother was a firm believer that traveling to other countries was important. She made sure both my brother and I saw as much of the world as we could.

7. I can sing a children’s song about almost any topic. I use to teach preschool and kindergarten and being so auditory myself, we sang a lot. My friend, Katie, use to challenge me by looking at me and saying a word, like cirrus cloud, and I had to come up with a children’s song about that topic or containing that word. 95% of the time I could do it… I can sing all the nations of the world, too. One summer my friends Michelle, Katie and I decided to learn the Animaniacs song. It took a lot of practice but we managed to do it – back in about 1995... I can still sing it. (Did I mention I was an auditory learner?) Whenever my students complain that they can't memorize something I have assigned , I break out into song. By about the third time in September, they stop complaining...

I am tagging Maggie, Shannon, Katie, Jada, and Lesley. I'm hopeful that ya'll will be willing to play... if not I sincerely apologize.

6 comments:

MegandMag said...

I am 30 and have never been drunk. :) I think this makes us "smart" and above peer pressure, except when you gave into my peer pressure to be tagged ;) New swap coming!!! This week sometime. - Michelle

Anonymous said...

I still know the Anamaniacs songs (not to mention many Schoolhouse Rock songs) because of you...remember the scout dinners? And Michelle telling us to shut up?

I loved that game and you were so good! Okay, an easy one for starters: "FLAG"

Shannon said...

Of course. I'll get to that sometime today.. Right now I'm headed out to weed. I love learning new things about people!

Anonymous said...

It's fun going through your list! I took up a short course on sign language before but 99.99% all forgotten, what I do remember I use it with my husband :-)

jacquie said...

Thanks for sharing. No wonder you were a willing chaperone. You're a traveling gal!

muralimanohar said...

I'm 35 and never been drunk, either. :D

And OMG...I've found our next homeschool assignment!! Animaniacs!!! Hahahahaha!!!!!