Friday, May 16, 2008

Senior Trip - Day Four: Old San Juan

Fort El Morrow
I'm a big history buff, so I would have been content walking around the 425 year-old forts and a 400+ year-old city all day... but alas, the seniors were not interested, so we spent very little time in Fort El Morrow and didn't get to Fort San Cristobal at all. (We also wandered around the old city for a couple of hours to shop and eat dinner.) I guess I am just going to have to get back to San Juan again. The weather was kind of overcast the day we spent there, so the pictures really won't do the place justice.

plants growing out of a bastion wall
doorway within El Morrow
cannon touch holeOld San Juan at night
I just loved the city's street lights!
That brings me to the end of my Puerto Rican adventure... The next day we turned in the rental car, hopped on the shuttle to the airport and flew back to Michigan. Despite my worries about the trip, (have I ever mentioned that I am a rather anxious person?) it turned out to be wonderful; the kids were great, the activities were a blast, the other chaperone was super, the weather was fantastic (the kids slept through the only rain we had,) and all the hitches worked out in our favor. Though I must admit, it is good to be home with my family again...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your little ones must be most happy to have their mommy back.

Shannon said...

The pics are WONDERFUL! Makes me want to travel there. And I rarely want to travel.

Marcia said...

What a great experience for you and those kids. They will remember you and it for the rest of their lives. It's a wonderful job you have to make such an impact on another person's life.
Enjoy your weekend.

susan said...

loved the adventure without the plane ride. i have told myself i do NOT have to fly any more. if i go to san diego to see grand daughter who will be flying in from kauai, i will take train or bus. the train would be ideal, i love trains. my dad built model live steam locomotives...they were 6'long and weighed about half a ton, engine alone. what a fun thing.

Maggie said...

Beautiful! I'm ready to pay a visit to Puerto Rico!

jacquie said...

I've been talking with my hubby about your adventures. This has definitely been added to our place to go list...actually moved pretty close to the top! Thanks for sharing.

zakkalife said...

great pictures, especially the "doorway within El Morrow"