Monday, May 12, 2008

Senior Trip - Day Three: Rainforest

Are you ready for an adventure?
Get your helmet...
don't forget your harness...and lace up your hiking boots, too.Remember to check out the orchids as you hike through the rain forest...the bromeliads are worth noticing, too.
Turn on your light for the first of three caves...
watch your footing...
and climb out carefully.Phew, that was a long morning.
Stop at Jorge's self-sufficient farm for some Puerto Rican home cooking.Be careful at the compost toilet.
You better use it too, because...soon you'll do five zip lines to get back down the mountain.Remember to open your eyes as you zip over the Tanama River...
don't worry if you forgot, we'll cross it again later...
Remember that high school Spanish class? It was useful after all...cross one at a time...Of all of our days in Puerto Rico, this one was, by far, my favorite -
thanks to Raymond and Roqui, our Acampa guides.
Thanks guys! We had an amazing day.

13 comments:

susan said...

arent you the nimble one...harnesses, caves and zip lines...oh my! :-) i miss the orchids and bromilides but there are so many other different plants here and choke with birds. i put out fruit in a flat feeder and in less than an hour got my first balitmore oriole and also saw my first bluebird today...boy, are they blue! glad you are having so much fun.

Marcia said...

What great pics. I was so hoping you would post about that. I have friends that have done the zip cord thing and thought it was a favorite too. What did your own kids think about you taking the trip? Will you consider going again with a class?

jacquie said...

Again, my hubby would be in HOG HEAVEN...I would be hyperventilating from fear of heights and vertigo on that bridge, but I'd do it. It wouldn't be the first time my family has had me on the edge of a cliff! What a great time!

Unknown said...

That looks amazingly fun!

I lived in Puerto Rico and haven't even tried anything like it. Next time I return I hope I remember.

You're right about the highway signs being poorly posted.

Thanks for commenting on my blog too.

Maggie said...

How very fun! I hope everyone else had as much fun as you did!

The Pastoral Princess said...

Absolutely stunning!! I wish I could have been a fly on your shoulder for the zip line adventure! How gorgeous! Puerto Rico is quickly becoming one of the top 'wish list' places for my dream vacations!

Shannon said...

WOW!!!! Amazing photos and what an experience! Everything is SO GREEN there! Can't wait to see some of these on Zooomr. I'm sure they will get a great response!

Anonymous said...

Now I wish I could go for such trips!
I've used 3 of such toilets: one had a container that looked like it was about to overflow, another was dug out from the ground and lastly one was modern however if you look down, everything went straight into a bucket :-) How fun!

Manoute said...

Amazing trip!
Thanks for passing by and commenting on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Now thats what I call a senior trip! Beautiful pictures, but scary bridge!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

Fun! I would love to chaperone this trip! Enjoy every minute!

misschris said...

Wow, just wow. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this. WOW!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Your pictures are fantasic! I wish I was there with you, although that toilet scares me. Alot. :)