Saturday, May 10, 2008

Senior Trip - Day Two: Snorkeling

Off to snorkel on a catamaran in the city of Fajardo, which is about an hour east of San Juan... We discovered that some of the roads - even the major ones - are not very well marked in Puerto Rico, so we were glad we had budgeted an extra 30 minutes or so to get there. We went out with East Island Excursions on their power cat The Island Flier. I was so glad the sailing cat had been booked that day, since there was no shaded spots aboard. The Island Flier had a shaded cabin - which was a very good thing after the sunburns from the day before. (For some reason the kids wanted nothing to do with my SPF 50 sunblock, choosing to fry instead.)
We were suppose to go to Culebra, but the winds weren't favorable, so they took $20.00 off each ticket and we snorkeled / swam at three different spots instead: Icacos Key, Palominos Key, and Palominitos Key, though some maps refer to them as Isla Icacos, etc. The $20.00 off really added up since there were seven of us. Best of all, the kids were thrilled to go swimming at different spots.
It was a spectacular day, despite the second layer of sunburn. If you are headed to Puerto Rico and you want to snorkel, I would recommend East Island Excursions. We were very pleased with them.

7 comments:

The DO said...

Gorgeous!! You lucky bum:) I'm glad to see that things have been going a touch better you you guys! Oh, uh... did I just jinx you??? I'll go knock on wood now....

Shannon said...

The water there looks so beautiful and clear! I'm glad you had so much fun on your snorkeling trip. I cannot imagine why a bunch of teenagers weren't interested in your sunblock! hehehe. Aren't they funny!

Marcia said...

What beautiful pictures! The blues of the water...It must have been so fun to see all the kids expressions as they were discovering this "other world".

Shannon said...

Thanks for your reassurance about my photography obsession - it's just funny, because I often wonder why I don't have time for "crafty" things. Now I've come to realize - it's because pictures are my hobby- and a very fulfilling one! P.S. Have you thought about joining Zooomr? E-mail me @theespinozafamily@gmail.com if you are interested and I'll send you an invitation. You have some lovely pictures that would be well received by the Zooomr community!

jacquie said...

I think I need to put this on our list of places we have to go. My hubby wants to snorkel in that beautiful clear water!

The Pastoral Princess said...

Oh Liz I am so jealous of that sunburn! LOL! It is 58 degrees here...not bad, but it's sure not snorkeling weather!! Have a great time girl!

susan said...

ah...jeez...that's another big thing i miss is snorkeling. i used to swim almost every day at salt pond...in hawaii the water temp is about 72 all year round...one good thing about the cold lakes, when it gets warm enought to venture in, they make my legs so numb my knees dont hurt any more :-)