Sunday, May 18, 2008

It's Time...

for morel mushrooms!
Yummy... Each day when A and I are out this time of year we keep our eyes open for these little beauties; they are hard to find but so worth it when you come across a patch. A made the most delicious asparagus and morel risotto the other day. Mmmmmmm so good. Spring is the only time we get to enjoy morels unless there is such a bumper crop that we end up with enough to dry, which unfortunately hasn't happened in a few years. A few black morels are up on the island right now, though it's been really cold this spring so there aren't very many. These little mushrooms are so tasty a friend of mine actually got yelled at by someone who mistakenly thought she picked a few on his property. People pick loads of them (in the hundreds) about an hour south of here, but we never find that many. We just enjoy the fleeting few we are lucky enough to get...

5 comments:

susan said...

hey liz come check out my blog, i think you will be surprised and happy...thats all i am gonna say!
:-)

The Pastoral Princess said...

Our mushroom season has past, but finding these always a treat in our house! Although, like any true hillbilly, we bread them in beer batter and deep fat fry them! LOL!

zakkalife said...

I don't think I've ever had a morel mushroom but I'm sure they taste good

Anonymous said...

It's a pity shops here don't sell these.

misschris said...

oh! Morels... yum.

And I'm sorry I haven't commented on your last few posts -- they've been wonderful. I so enjoyed learning about you and seeing those photos! Beautiful. I do think you are lucky to have traveled so much. xo