Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ginger Cookies

These yummy little gems are my new favorite and they are so easy to make. Trust me, I am not particularly good at anything in the kitchen, but these are so easy even I can make them. The recipe will seem off to you, I know it did to me the first time I made them, but they come out just fine even without any eggs. A word of warning though, they are quite gingery. Not to the point of being too spicy, but you probably won't like them if you aren't a ginger fan.

Ginger Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup brown or white sugar (I use brown)
1 cup molasses
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 and 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups flour

Cream butter and sugar in a mixer. (Use a mixer - this is really really hard to mix up by hand.) Next add the molasses and mix. Throw in the spices and then add the flour.

Make small balls of dough and roll them in sugar. You can just bake them without rolling them in the sugar, but my husband says they are much better with it. I use turbinado or raw sugar because the crystals are bigger and I like the crunch they add to the cookie.

Bake at 350 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 11 -13 minutes. You'll know they are done when they spring back when touched. Bake a little less time for a less of a crunch, longer for more. If you like them I'd love to know. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! --M

miranda said...

These cookies were absolutely delicious, Liz. I was a little bit sceptical about them when they didn't call for eggs (as you were) but they turned out so well and were gone within about two hours. By the way, thanks for sending me the link for your blog.... It makes me not miss "home" quite as much. A+ recipe!