Saturday, May 16, 2009

Spring on Mackinac

I think spring may have finally made it to Northern Michigan. The tulips at Grand Hotel, and in my garden, are just starting to open- though the daffodils have been open for about a week now. Lucky me gets to pass right by these beauties every day on my way to and from work. Which reminds me, I've only got two weeks of school left. It's been so cold here this spring that the end of the year has kind of sneaked up on me. The teacher in me enjoys cold springs because my students aren't pining away for summer quite so much when it is only 50 degrees (about 10 C) outside. But the other side of me wishes I still didn't have to wear my mittens to work in the morning. It's been so chilly that my little lilac tree just has little buds on it. It has me wondering if we will have an lilacs for the island's Lilac Festival; it's only three weeks away...

12 comments:

Indy Mom said...

So pretty to see the tulips. Mine are long gone! I wondered if the lilacs were aware of the dates of the festival!

Allie said...

The tulips are glorious! Ours are done now. But it's still not warm....

Mum-me said...

That tulip bed is going to look spectacular over the next two weeks.

The WoodLand School said...

Tulips *and* only 2 weeks left of school?!?! Sounds like the makings for a celebration : )

Pamela said...

That is a gorgeous view everyday to and from work. Very lucky!

Stephanie said...

Oooo... a lilac festival, that sounds heavenly!! I love lilacs, they smell sooo good!!! Thanks for visiting my blog, hope to see you around.

April said...

I think that room is the room I got married in! With the yellow awnings! Is this photo taken from the back of the hotel?

Amy Jo said...

Happy Spring!!! Beautiful picture of the Grand!!!

pam@gingerbreadsnowflakes.com said...

I can't even wrap my mind around school ending in two weeks and the tulips are just now in bloom! Spring must be a very short season on your island.

I hope summer vacation means you will be spending more time with your camera! And... sharing!

kate said...

Beautiful tulips, how lovely. Ours are blooming now as well.

If you're done in two weeks - when do you go back? We're not done until the end of June.

Manoute said...

Daffodils and tulips are long gone here...
Nice picture!

stitching under oaks said...

Glad spring is finally making it to you! those tulips are beautiful. enjoy the warmer weather...my lilacs are all gone...they are one of my favorite spring smells.