Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Reflecting on a Rainy Day

Spring in Northern Michigan means rain. And when you live on an island with no cars, you must dress for the weather. I'm an avid thrifter, so you can imagine my excitement when I found that amazing yellow sow wester hat at one of my favorite thrift shops this winter for $1.00. It fits my son perfectly and he was quite pleased with it. So this morning we walked to the sitter's house in the rain. No bike cart for us today - just rain coats, pants, hats, boots and umbrellas (or rainbrellas as my daughter calls them.)

The entire way I was thinking about my son and how much he's grown this year. Today was his last day of school; the last day of his first year of preschool. Of course he is the same little person he was nine months ago, yet he's different, too. Over the course of the year he has learned to write his name, to identify letters and sounds, to sing a zillion songs, and to be a better listener. I love the little man he is growing into. I love how he usually remembers to say "please" and "thank you" without being prompted, how he always wants me to rock him in my arms before he goes to sleep, that he can remember the words to most of the songs he hears, and how he greets each new day with excitement. Even the simple little things in life, like walking in the rain wearing a big yellow hat, make him smile. If only it were that simple for all of us...

13 comments:

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

oh how cute is that!

kate said...

That's the key which kids have - finding that joy when in the moment. I get called a big kid a lot, and I consider it a compliment even when people are shaking their heads at me.

Awesome hat, wonderful reflection on your son and his growth.

Allie said...

GREAT hat! I remember looking for puddles to jump in with my boys when they were small - everywhere we went, if it had rained, we had to puddle jump. At least, if we were on the way HOME, lol.

Marcia said...

Now that's a hat!

antique quilter said...

adorable hat!
oh yes the miracle of enjoying life thru a child
treasure every minute, they grow up to fast !

Maggie said...

He's a swell little guy, your S. I always enjoying talking with him and watching his enthusiasm as he greets each new day.

Maggie said...

He's a swell little guy, your S. I always enjoying talking with him and watching his enthusiasm as he greets each new day.

denice said...

What a sweet post, Liz. It is so amazing to watch them become who they are, isn't it?

Betts said...

I wish we could bottle kids' excitement and joy and take it as a tonic.

Indy Mom said...

Ahhhhh......I love your pictures and the way you write. Amazing to think that in 4+ years he has gone from that sweet sleeping baby, all wrapped in a blanket, to this Mr. Personality who talks to everyone about everything! And, yes, the "please" and "thank you" are impressive from that little guy.

susan said...

love the hat! yes time goes by quickly and before you know it they are all grown up.

we had glorious weather today. i even think i got a sunburn even tho iwas being careful. tomarrow down to 60s with rain but today was wonderful.

Unknown said...

"he can sing a zillion songs"...hmmm, wonder where he got that talent from. I was singing the Mackinac slug song to a little slug on the sidewalk at F's school today. I picked him up and moved him to the grass and grossed out a companion I was walking into school with.
She needs some of S's zest for life!

pam@gingerbreadsnowflakes.com said...

Another fabulous photo! And a lovely post!