Monday, November 1, 2010

Changes

It's fall on Mackinac Island, and that means beautiful fall colors and the end of the tourist season. It also means vehicle permits can be issued for jobs that just can't be done with horse power. (Remember, motorized vehicles are illegal here.) Our City Council is quite careful - if a job can be done with horses they won't allow trucks to be used. However, some jobs just can't be done with horses; jobs like this and this:


The maple trees along Cadotte (the street that leads from town, past the school, and up to the Grand Hotel) are / were past their prime. Every year now it seems at least one looses a big branch during the island's strong fall and winter storms. So, sadly, it was time for many of them to come down. I knew it was only a matter of time, but I was surprised to see so many X's while we walked to town on Saturday.



I seem to remember my botanist friend telling me that these were Norway Maples and that they had a life span of only about 60 years. I could be remembering wrong, but I never really considered that trees had a "life span." I thought they just kept growing.

As of this morning, they were all done cutting...


and all the stumps had been ground out.


Now, all that's left to do is plant new trees.


I saw all of the new little trees, ready to plant, as I took my son to the Medical Center today (two ear infections - he'll be fine) but, of course, did I have my camera with me? No, it was sitting on the dining room table.

I'm still annoyed with myself...

9 comments:

kate said...

First of all, look at that beautiful sunshine!!!

The city I grew up in has been having this issue, trees outgrowing the sidewalks or starting to die out from disease, age, etc. They have removed a number of cherry blossom trees, etc and people were very sad. They have replaced them all, but it certainly changes the look of a street to lose the old trees.

Allie said...

I love that I recognize that area - and glad your son's going to be ok! Tis the season for sure.

Melody said...

Aw...
That made me kinda sad Liz. I never realized trees had a "life-span" either. I just assumed they kept on growing...well...forever! Unless they got diseased or died. Wow...learn something new every day! But it still made me a bit sad to see them cut down. I left the island a little sad when we were up on the weekend of Oct. 22-24. I had never been up on the VERY weekend that everything closed down. It was almost depressing to me. I love seeing all the "life". But I can imagine the locals enjoy it when things slow down a bit for the winter? Well, we're settling in for the winter here too...and anxiously awaiting our return in May! Happy winter! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deanna said...

I hate when I forget my camera or when the batteries are dead! There's always a great picture to be taken right at that moment! :)
Strange to see vehicles on the island.....and I didn't realize that trees have a life span....it is sad. :(

clara said...

I wonder what do they do with the wood. Our streets and roads are lined with lots of trees and that means lots of pruning and sweeping. Fallen branches have caused quite a few accidents.

The WoodLand School said...

What a big change you must notice as you go down this street! I always find it jarring when large trees are removed after I spend a lifetime appreciating them ...

At least you can enjoy so much of that gorgeous blue sky :-)

MSUMissa said...

How sad! We removed a tree this year too, and I just can't get used to the 'look' of the house with out it! Turns out ours was at the end of life too. Go figure! Happy fall, I am in Canton and we just had some flakes, so I am sure you guys must have had some already too! Bundle up!

Indy Mom said...

That is very sad. It will change the look of that approach but I'm glad they are planting new ones. It will be a looong time before they reach the size of what has been taken down.