Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Lucky Me

My friend, Heather, the owner of May's Candy Shop, on Mackinac Island.  Last week I was lucky enough to get to help her out at the shop for a couple of days, and did I ever have fun!


Don't get me wrong, making fudge is hard work, but I loved every minute of it. (It's hot work, too.) Heather helped me nerd out and answered all my questions about the original equipment her grandfather used and how important temperature is when making fudge. (She cooks hers a specific temperature - measured in half degrees.) For my first lesson, I learned how to measure the ingredients. Did you know every batch of fudge contains more than 20 pounds of deliciousness?


Together Heather and I made several varieties of fudge (delicious if I do say so myself.)


We made candy, too; peanut brittle and picoflake - a confection similar to peanut brittle but with coconut flakes and less brittle, 


and blue raspberry flavored sea foam puffs (my daughter's favorite.)


The best part was I got to lick the spoon! (Of course it was after everything was finished and right before the spoon was going into the sink to be washed. No cross contamination - I promise.)


If you visit Mackinac this summer, please consider getting your candy and fudge from May's. Not only is Heather a fourth generation candy maker and owner of the Island's only remaining family-owned fudge shop, but she is also the music teacher at our school. So, supporting her is supporting a small family business and a teacher. That's a win - win in my book.

May's Candy Shop
7351 Main St, Mackinac Island, MI 49757
(906) 847-6486

Her shop is on the water side of Main Street.
Keep your eyes out for her
blue and white striped awning.
This review of May's Candy Shop is my opinion.
Other than a great time and a few spoon licks, I was not compensated in any way.

3 comments:

Gemma's person said...

That had to be one of the best days of your life. Sounds so interesting. Lucky you.
Will check out the web site.

Msumissa said...

I am FINALLY able to bring my girls up to the UP on a girls camping trip. Dad gets to stay home with the dogs!! They are laughing at me at how excited I am to get to the Island and home of the Quilted Turtle! I have been stopping by your blog for years!! We will definitely stop by Mays!

Liz said...

Msumissa, if you are coming over to the island and your schedule allows, I'd love to meet you. (Even if it's just for a few minutes.) If you're interested, drop me an email turtle(dot)quilted@gmail.com.