Sunday, July 10, 2011

BFF


The hatch has begun.
My son is thrilled.
He's been patiently waiting
for their arrival.
What's not to love?
Their mouths don't work so they can't bite
and they only live for a day.

Fish flies are the perfect insect
for a play date.

The only problem is,
some years
we get something like this:

photo via

A little boy's dream,
not so much for adults.

I remember as a kid, growing up three blocks from Lake St. Clair, there were years that the fish flies were so thick that my dad would have to hose off the car in the morning. And then, as you were driving down the street, you'd hear this crunching noise as hundreds of them were getting squished. Luckily we've never had that many of them on the island - at least not in the years I've been here.

5 comments:

Gail Hayton said...

Liz,You brought back great memories for me. Growing up my dad had a boat that he kept on the Salt River near New Baltimore. You really describe it well-the wall of bugs and the crunch!

Mum-me said...

I've never heard of fish flies, but they do look rather cute (for an insect).

I can remember hearing the bogong moths crunch under the car tyres as we drove along, when they were in plague proportions several times during my childhood.

Heidi said...

Yes, I remember being "attacked" by them at a Tiger game once. :)

Liz said...

I'm having visions of a new horror film: The Swarm

Allie said...

Egads - will they all be gone by August, lol?