Sunday, August 15, 2010

May I Borrow...

Borrowing things is quite common here on Mackinac Island. We all know each other so well and every one of us has been in a pinch at one time on another. On more than one occasion I have borrowed eggs and other ingredients from a neighbor when I didn't have enough to complete something. So I was not surprised when one of the island bakeries called me the other day hoping to borrow some powered sugar. (I am good friends with a number of the employees there and they knew I'd help if I could.) Their sugar was coming over on the boat later in the day, but they had cakes to make and needed the sugar that morning.

"No problem, I'm sure I've got some sugar. You're welcome to it; how much do you need?"

"Well," she said, "a lot. Four pounds would be good, but six would be better."

"O.K.," I said, "I'll run down to basement and see how much I've got."

Only on Mackinac Island would a normal person have six pounds of powdered sugar in their pantry! My hoarding, I mean preparedness, pays off again. Though I do have to admit, six pounds of powered sugar is probably more than I really need...

11 comments:

Ellen said...

I am so impressed! I'm lucky if I have a meager cup or two around here.

Suzanne said...

When you live on an island, you gotta stay stocked up...I use to live in Western Samoa and sometimes the supply boat was late.

Jeanette said...

So, does it make it even more pathetic that I live in a big city, less than a mile from the grocery store, and I have four bags of powdered sugar in my pantry?

Melody said...

LOL, not hoarding Liz! I don't even live on the island and you don't EVEN want to see my stockpile of groceries! LOL! I have become somewhat of a "super-couponer"...so when something goes on sale & I have coupons...I totally stock up! I never pay full price! LOL! I think I have over 5 pounds of powdered sugar right now, but then again, I just started cake dec. classes too, LOL!

Val said...

I had to smile when I read this. I'm always running out of eggs, which generally isn't too much of a crisis, since there's a little convenience store just around the corner. I can't imagine not being able to pop somewhere nearby to get something - I'm so spoiled!

So glad that your package arrived and that you liked it! I am the queen at giving people homemade dishcloths - they are so useful! But do be careful when you wash them...they have not been washed yet, and I fear that they may bleed rather fiercely. Happy you liked the bag and scarf too - and thank you again!

Mama Said Sew said...

I don't use much powdered sugar, so I don't keep a lot on hand. But granulated sugar is a different story. I've got 10 pounds in my pantry right now! I'm sure you're friends at the bakery were very happy with your preparedness. :)

Deanna said...

I'm with Melody. Stockpiling! :) But the island lifestyle is so unique and I love reading about it on your blog. Yesterday all of my children came over for lunch after church. They wanted a cake and I was out of eggs (which is something that you can't really stockpile). But I just ran down the street to the convenience store to get a dozen. Hated paying $1.79 for them, but the cake sure was good!
Happy Monday to you. :)

Kristyn Knits said...

Seems like when you live on an island, being prepared for anything might be necessary. what a great friend you are!

Mandy said...

Even though I don't live on the island anymore it must still be in my blood. I always have atleast 10 lbs of powdered sugar, 5 lbs of granulated sugar, and 5 lbs of flour in my pantry. I just never know when I might want to bake or decorate cakes (when I bake I never just make one batch of something, I always get going and make a few different things). I am guessing you were helping out my favorite bakery!

Diane said...

I think that is so nice in these modern days to be able to ask to borrow things like that. Growing up in our small neighborhood all the moms would borrow back and forth for things. Glad you were able to help out with the cake baking! Happy Monday!!

susan said...

i would suppose you have to keep a stash of all kinds of stuff just in case that ferry doesnt make it over or the ice isnt thick enough to cross over. ya never know and gotta be prepared.