Monday, June 29, 2009

Everywhere

The hawkweed has bloomed on Mackinac. It's everywhere and it is absolutely beautiful. Whether you call it a wildflower or a weed, the sea of yellow it creates in the woods is breathtaking. The path from Cass Cliff to Anne's Tablet is stunning while the hawkweed is blooming. If you are going to be on the island in the next week or so, I highly recommend you take a stroll out that way...

It is raining here this morning, so we won't be going out walking today. I'm not complaining mind you, we desperately need it. While we were out walking yesterday we noticed that almost all the lady slippers are gone now. So sad - I just love them. Guess I'll just have to wait until next year...

5 comments:

Arianwen said...

Oh how lovely! I have never seen a lady slipper, thank you for sharing

Allie said...

Beautiful! I've never seen a ladyslipper either.

Pamela said...

Me too, I have never heard or seen lady slipper before but it is lovely.

Anonymous said...

I, too, love some of the "flowers" around here that they call weeds. To each her own, right?

pam said...

You are so lucky to live where the Lady Slipper orchids grow. I think they are one of the most unusual flowers - but if I am ever to actually see one in the wild I will need to visit your island or order some from mail order suppliers and hope they like where I live!

Thank you for the beautiful photo.