Saturday, February 16, 2008

Yum Yum!

With a three-year-old in the house, I am trying to create some fun family traditions. My family didn't really do much for Valentine's Day but I wanted to do something fun with my own children. So, I decided to have a special Valentine's Day dinner. The kids loved the pink heart-shaped pancakes, heart sausage, fruit and strawberry-flavored milk (so it would be pink, of course!) The pink milk was definitely the most popular item on the menu.

Making heart pancakes without a form was more challenging than I anticipated. It wasn't until I was about 1/2 way through the batter before I realized the best strategy was pouring a "V" shape in the pan, otherwise they didn't get a very defined bottom point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your terrific blog somehow this afternoon and had to read every entry. My daughters and I have vacationed on M.I. in the past. Such a fabulous and intriging place, I envy anyone forunate enough to call it home year-round.

A handy hint for the next heart-shaped pancake batch: an empty, clean tuna can with both ends removed can easily be shaped into a heart. A pair of tongs allows you to remove the hot can when it's time to turn the pancakes. A metal cookie cutter works too. Heart pancakes are a V-day favorite in our house and with the young nephews.