Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Homemade Pop Tarts

Mackinac Island's Watercolor Cafe is well known with the locals for their Poppies - or homemade pop tarts, so when a recipe for homemade pop tart dough popped up in my Pinterest feed the other day I thought I'd give them a try. I'm posting the recipe here because for some reason the link works on my phone but not on my laptop... 

This recipe is from Jennifer Pineda (In Jennie's Kitchen). She shares the dough recipe freely, but if you want her filling recipes you have to subscribe. Rather than do that, I just used different kinds of my own homemade jam. I made peach / mango, blueberry, and raspberry, and they were sooooo good. My taste testers (thank you Aimee and Travis) told me they liked how this dough was a little sweeter than regular pie crust and slightly cookie-like.

Homemade Pop Tart Dough 

1 1/3 cup flour, plus more for rolling
1/4 cup corn starch
1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling
1/8 tsp. baking powder
4 Tbs. cold butter, cut into 8 pieces
pinch of salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tbs cream (I used half & half)
1 egg

Additional cream (or half & half) and powdered sugar for glaze

Directions: 

  1. Combine dry ingredients in a food processor and pulse to mix. 
  2. Add the butter and pulse until it forms a sandy looking mix. There will still be some pebble sized pieces.
  3. Pour in the cream. Pulse until you get a rough ball of dough.
  4. Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead a few times until you have a smooth dough.
  5. Roll to the thickness of a pie crust and cut out bottoms and tops for your pop tarts. (I used a mix of half flour and half powdered sugar to roll mine out.)
  6. Beat the egg in a small bowl.  
  7. Place a spoon full of jam in the center of a piece of dough and spread. Don't get too close to the edge.
  8. Brush a thin ribbon of egg around the outside of the dough, close to the edge.
  9. Place another piece of dough on top and use a fork to crimp the edges.
  10. Use a fork to poke holes in the top piece of dough so steam can escape. (This will keep them flatter.)
  11. Bake at 350 degrees for about eight minutes. (I baked mine on parchment.)
  12. Cool on a wire rack and glaze if desired. (I made the glaze with half and half, powdered sugar and a dash of vanilla.)
  13. Sprinkle with sugar or sprinkles if desired.
One batch of this recipe made eight, three-inch square pop tarts.

No comments: