Friday, August 17, 2018

Antics


I have been having so much fun with "The Girls" lately. Their antics just make me giggle. At about 6:45 this morning they were making huge amounts of noise, which is unusual, so I went out the the coop to investigate. (I was already up.) When I opened the coop it was clear they were not happy. The older birds, who roost up on a higher bar, were grouching loudly at the younger hens who were down on the floor. They roost on a lower bar and can easily hop down.

As I looked around I quickly saw what had gotten into the coop overnight and was making them so upset; every single one of them was up in arms over a tiny little cricket! I'm fairly certain they were arguing over who was going to eat it for breakfast. Just imagine seagulls fighting over a french fry and you can picture what they were like.


Many of the chicks we got this spring have come into lay (actively laying eggs.)  I love checking the nesting boxes every day to look for eggs. We're getting some every day - and they're getting bigger. When hens first start laying often the eggs are quite small, sometimes without a yolk.

Just look at those beauties. I'm thinking quiche for dinner...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many times the simple everyday things bring so many smiles and so much joy, Money can't buy those memories. Thanks so much for sharing.

Suzanne said...

Baking with fresh eggs is so nice.