Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Foiled


Sigh. I was supposed to cross the ice this afternoon. A number of the teachers had grand plans; we were going out to eat, to move cars from the dock parking lot to the ice bridge parking lot, and then pick up a few much needed groceries. However, things didn't quite work out...

Just as we were getting ready to leave the school, a parent overheard us making plans. He had just came across the ice from St. Ignace and warned us about the pressure crack.

"It's changing minute by minute due to the wind," he said. "When I headed to the mainland, earlier the crack was pushed up a bit, but nothing major. When I came home 20 minutes later there was about three feet of water on top of the ice around the crack. There's solid ice under it, but plan on getting wet and I wouldn't take a cutter. You might even want to wait to tomorrow."

He didn't have to make that suggestion twice. I'll take foiled plans over the alternative any day...

10 comments:

kate said...

Yes, safe is good.

How long does it take you to cross on the skidoo? I can't remember if you told us before.

Suzanne said...

Sorry about the change of plans, but it's definitely better than the alternative.

stitching under oaks said...

be safe....better safe than sorry.

Deanna said...

Glad you decided to wait.....
Maybe you and your friends will get that lunch soon. :)

Mandy said...

No Chinese Food. :( Hopefully soon.

MondayTraveler said...

Eeeep! Good thing you were warned. :-/

denice@inkstitch said...

Awe, darnit... but I'm glad you're waiting.

kawaii crafter said...

I hope it worked out for you the next day.

peaceliving said...

Enjoyed catching up here today, Liz. It's always such fun to read about your snowy life, while here I sit hoping that there's enough snow in a few weeks for us to "go to the snow" as we say around here.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy your little updates. Moving ice sure changes the plans. Safe travels to you.